[Cialug] New members looking for test laptop

wdmtrader wdmtrader at gmail.com
Fri Jan 24 13:51:44 CST 2014

My son and I are new to the group so please gently correct me if this
request is inappropriate.  We are looking for a cheap laptop to experiment
with various Linux distros.  We would like to experiment with Ubuntu,
Fedora, and others.  Can you please recommend where we may find something
under $200 (free is even better)?  What specs should we be looking for
(RAM, CPU, DVD, DVI/HDMI out, etc.)?

On a related note, is there a good resource that compares/contrast various
distros?  What are the trade offs for choosing Ubuntu, Fedora, Mint, etc.?

Thanks,

Scott Burklund