[Cialug] linux on chrome NoteBook

Jim Popken stuff at jscada.com
Wed Feb 19 10:41:24 CST 2014

I have Lubuntu running on a chrome book (C720). It is dual booting chrome
and Lubuntu. See
http://chromeos-cr48.blogspot.com/2013/10/chrubuntu-for-new-chromebooks-now-with.html
 .

I have not found a more affordable, lighter weight (around 2 lbs), longer
lasting battery notebook any where (regardless of operating system).

I did replace the 16 GB solid state drive with a 128 GB drive.

I've had a few minor annoyances but all is working well.

Jim Popken

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM, Josh More <jmore at starmind.org> wrote:

> That's one way to look at it.
>
> Another way is that Chromebooks are cheap, but if you don't trust Google,
> you can load something more trustworthy on it
>

> On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 10:25 AM, Todd Walton <tdwalton at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Feb 18, 2014 at 3:39 PM, Ralph Kessel <ralphkessel75 at yahoo.com
> > >wrote:
> >
> > > http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/install-linux-chromebook/
> >

> > Isn't part of the draw of a Chromebook that Google manages all of these
> > online services for you?  What's the point of putting your own Linux on
> it?
> >
> > --
> > Todd

920 Clark Avenue