[Cialug] Where's the CD Device?

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Wed Feb 12 16:26:55 CST 2014

I'm running Mint Xfce for the first time.  I want to rip a CD image.  So I
put the CD into the CD drive, and it shows up in the file manager in the
Devices grouping.  If I click on it it shows track wav files, and Banshee
popped up offering to play the CD or import it for me.

However, neither of those is really what I want.  I want to straight rip a
copy of the image to an iso file.  dd seems like a sensible option for
this, but I don't know where the CD device is.  When I click on it in the
file manager the location bar says cdda://sr0/, which is not very helpful.
There's nothing under /media or /mnt.  I can't 'find' anywhere on teh
filesystem that has "cdda" in it.  There's a /dev/sr0 and a /dev/cdrom, but
neither can be read from.

Help?  What is this "cdda://" business?  And where do I find the cdrom
device?

--
Todd