[Cialug] Off topic - Windows Help

Kevin Smith kevin at linuxsmith.com
Sat Dec 6 13:50:28 CST 2014

I appears there's a A record in the DNS, but this test fails. Oddly, our
working Windows server fails with with the same error, so probably not
related?

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.3.9600]
(c) 2013 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Administrator>dcdiag /test:dns

Directory Server Diagnosis

Performing initial setup:
   Trying to find home server...
   Home Server = Ames-Server
   * Identified AD Forest.
   Done gathering initial info.

Doing initial required tests

   Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\AMES-SERVER
      Starting test: Connectivity
         ......................... AMES-SERVER passed test Connectivity

Doing primary tests

   Testing server: Default-First-Site-Name\AMES-SERVER

      Starting test: DNS

         DNS Tests are running and not hung. Please wait a few minutes...
         ......................... AMES-SERVER passed test DNS

   Running partition tests on : ForestDnsZones

   Running partition tests on : DomainDnsZones

   Running partition tests on : Schema

   Running partition tests on : Configuration

   Running partition tests on : msl

   Running enterprise tests on : msl.local
      Starting test: DNS
         Test results for domain controllers:

            DC: Ames-Server
            Domain: msl.local

               TEST: Basic (Basc)
                  Warning: The A record for this DC was not found
                  No host records (A or AAAA) were found for this DC