[Cialug] Release Management

Eric Junker eric at eric.nu
Sun Aug 24 16:34:52 CDT 2014

Sounds like you are talking about Vagrant (http://www.vagrantup.com/)
One of the benefits of Vagrant is that it encourages the use of a
configuration management tool to automate the provisioning of the VM. It
could be something as simple as a shell script or something more
advanced such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible. I can't stress enough how
important automation and reproducible environments are. We decided to
write out own custom Puppet manifests but if you are doing web
development I really like PuPHPet (https://puphpet.com/) which started
out as PHP only but now supports Ruby, Node, and Python.

We use Jenkins for deployments. It really isn't that hard to setup. Well
worth the time investment to have automated deploys.

Eric