[Cialug] Release Management

c cbpurcell at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 15:14:27 CDT 2014

As Jim said. A lot of it is about the tools, but it depends on your
developers' process. If all of your developers have a full virtual
environment on their machine that is a clone of production, and they do all
development there, then you can use tools to keep your environments
separated.

Ideally your devs do all development on their local virtual machine.

- Once the Dev has a working fix they check all of that code into remote
git/ code versioning.

- Dev ties that commit into your ticketing system. Through the ticketing
system they note that the fix is ready for testing.

- QA  approves pushing the Devs changes to the QA/testing machines

- QA either approves fix, or sends back to Dev to update/fix per QA
comments.

- Once QA approves change, in the ticket and the system schedules the
automated push to production per your rules for regular or emergency
updates.

--Purcell

.

.