[Cialug] Release Management

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 10:12:00 CDT 2014

How many of you work at a company with a managed release process for code?
Like, you maintain identical dev/qa/prod servers, and developers write code
and get it working, then you release it to a testing environment and have
users break it, then production when it's ready, etc...  Do you have
something like that where you work?

Where I work we're still sort of developing all that, but the basic outline
is like I've said above.  However, in the past, developers have typically
had access to not only the dev servers but also the testing servers.  We're
now starting to limit that access, so that releasing to testing is just
like releasing to production, so you truly have a good test of whether the
code is good or not.

I'm considering whether or not developers should be able to push their own
code to testing, but still restrict their access to the testing servers.
Like, some automated button they can push that takes dev and puts it in
qa/test, but they can't go and fiddle with server settings.

--
Todd