[Cialug] Chromebook

Tim Champion timchampion at gmail.com
Sun Aug 10 20:30:58 CDT 2014

I am currently using a chromebook.  Its also running chrubuntu on another
screen (2 hot keys to switch to it, and one hot key to switch back).  In
chrubuntu I am using Unity, which runs plenty fast.  Once on the "linux
side", you can install anything you want. I keep it on the chromeOS side
95% of the time.

On the chromeOS side for local files, you have downloads and google drive.
 Google drive is both local and on the cloud, and Downloads is local only.
 If you treat your Downloads as your "My Documents", then you can put all
the stuff there you want.

The chromebook I have was a Woot deal a while back for $225. Its a HP w/ a
14 inch screen and 32gb ssd.  Plenty big for everything I do, and the
battery lasts me all day.  What I really like is that I can pipe anything I
want to my chromecast, which is rockin' cool. It also has 200GB of 4G data
from T-Mobile for life, so that makes it real handy in places where you
can't (or don't want to) connect to wi-fi

For printers, I almost never print. If I have to, I do it from my Mac Mini
that's hooked up to a B&W laser printer. Files can easily be transferred by
plopping it on google dirve on the chromebook and retrieving from google
drive on the computer that is hooked up to the printer.  I'm not saying I
can't print to the printer, but I just don't print much so I don't care to
find out.

Tim Champion
timchampion at gmail.com