[Cialug] Chromebook

c cbpurcell at gmail.com
Sat Aug 9 16:08:53 CDT 2014

There are some really nice 13-14 inch chromebooks now. One of my friends is
taking an extended stay in Europe while job hunting and took a new
chromebook as their only computer and seems incredibly happy. I am also
thinking about getting one for my dad.

If your sister is always going to be around wifi and is cool with storing
her photos on google drive and picasa, she'll probably be pretty happy with
a chromebook.

On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM, David Champion <dchamp1337 at gmail.com> wrote:

> If you're willing to do some work, you can install a full blown Linux
> distro on a Chromebook.
>

> http://lifehacker.com/how-to-install-linux-on-a-chromebook-and-unlock-its-ful-509039343
>
> -dc
>

> On Sat, Aug 9, 2014 at 3:23 PM, Scott Yates <Scott at yatesframe.com> wrote:
>
> > Realize however that Chromebooks are meant to be cloud connected.  All
> her
> > pictures would be automatically synced/stored online.  The idea is that
> it
> > should not matter specifically where you put the files/images.  Chrome
> will
> > take care of syncing them with online storage.
> >
> > It is just a matter of changing habits, and not worrying so much about
> > managing local files.
> >
> > Printing is not as much of a problem with the Google cloud print.  As
> long
> > as either the printer is "cloud ready" already you are good.  If not, it
> > just requires a computer to serve as a print server using Google's
> > software.  I have tried both ways and they both work very well.
> >
> > Honestly, Chromebooks are really a VERY good choice for a LOT of people.

> > > application
> > > >
> > > Thanks for the heads-up, .. that will be a show stopper.
> > >
> > >         Lee

Darkness spoons with you.