[Cialug] Mediacom to boost speeds

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Tue Apr 29 16:07:58 CDT 2014

I paid Verizon (local tel in my area of FL) for carrier grade service. It
had an SLA and guaranteed response of 4 hours or less around the clock. The
service and uptime was astounding. One time we did go down and there was a
tech on sight in under 45 min, we didn't even have to call him.

To be fair, we had a whole bunch of T1s and PRIs. The price was also pretty
astounding.

Here's the question of the day:

Why is Mediacom raising their bandwidth? If Century Link had increased its
bandwidth or lowered its price, I'd expect that. But they haven't. No
competitive pressure in sight, which means they're doing it out of the
goodness of their hearts, right? (yeah, I'll go read the article now, maybe
the answer is there)

Matthew Nuzum