[Cialug] Mediacom to boost speeds

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Apr 29 14:18:55 CDT 2014

On Tue, 29 Apr 2014, Jonathan C. Bailey wrote:

> I think they are powered directly from the grid in the neighborhood.  I
> have seen large boxes on poles with a power meter and coax cable lines
> attached. I guessing a ups that would fit in that box would cause more
> maintenace issues. If you want carrier grade reliability you might need to
> pay a carrier for service.

Second the recommendation!

If you are running production services, **NO** media-related carrier is
appropriate. None will provide an SLA, and such fau-pas are common -
'node' equipment in the field with absolutly no power protection (or, as
below, minimal UPS protection).

For example, we had a power outage here of about six hours a few months
ago. No problem for us - all critical systems are on UPSs, and the backup
generator takes about a minute to start, warm up, and come online.

Imagine my surprise when, after about three hours, CHARTER WENT DOWN!! I
assume they don't have backup power in many places, so as soon as the UPS
batteries were drained they failed.

On another instance, they changed our IP last Thursday (after many years),
and the damn modem won't give a static route that our firewall box
interprets correctly! It took way longer than it should have to plug in a
PC, copy off the critical data, and reset the firewall.

	Lee