[Cialug] ISU Computer Time Stolen to Mine Bitcoin

Jeff Chapin chapinjeff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 24 08:36:04 CDT 2014

http://wcfcourier.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/hacked-isu-server-used-by-state-schools/article_d7f84e2f-9b7b-5156-bfeb-de054e09dc6d.html

Looks like the particular hardware was insecure, and it was not something
that is easy to clean up from.  Still not sure if destruction was
warranted, and more details would be nice.

Jeff

On Wed, Apr 23, 2014 at 7:59 AM, Daniel A. Ramaley <daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
> wrote:

> On 2014-04-22 at 21:11:31 Todd Walton wrote:
> > Why would they literally destroy the computers?  It's not like the
> > hardware gets cooties once it's touched by baddies.
>
> Depending on how old the machines were, maybe they were close to their
> end of life anyway. In which case it might not be worth the staff hours
> to wipe and reinstall.
>
> __
> Daniel A. Ramaley
> Network Engineer 2
>
> Dial Center 122, Drake University
> 2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
> Tel: +1 515 271-4540
> Fax: +1 515 271-1938
> E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu

Jeff Chapin
President, CedarLug, retired
President, UNIPC, "I'll get around to it"
President, UNI Scuba Club
Senator, NISG, retired