[Cialug] Windows Replacement

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Thu Apr 10 04:39:17 CDT 2014

I don't believe it was an ARM-specific requirement.  There is a place that the compile always fails, and it has something to do with Java... I'm not sure if it involves integrating Java into Firefox somehow, or if Java was just used to build some chunk of Firefox.

As for the Arch build farm: Arch Linux ARM has also not been able to get Firefox built for any ARM targets (at least this was true around a year ago, they may have fixed the issue by now).  Ubuntu and most other distros with ARM targets have Firefox working just fine.  I grabbed a copy of the source from the Mozilla developers' center, rather than trying to use their mercurial repo, but their website detailing the build process is where I found the memory and other system requirements.

I've never had a problem building FF on Arch Linux with X86_64 hardware (I would assume it is similarly unproblematic on i686).  I did attempt a build after creating a 16GB swap file on a spare USB hard drive, but there appears to be one gigantic ~4GB process that pops up at that build point and causes a crash of the build.  Unfortunately, it has been more than a year since I tried to build FF, so I don't remember a huge amount about it.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer