[Cialug] Privacycon

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Mon Sep 23 12:32:37 CDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 11:36:15AM -0500, Matt Stanton wrote:

> Disk encryption would be a good topic, but we would need to come up with
> trustworthy solutions for Windows XP/Vista/7/8 and Mac OS X 10.5+.

A casual look at the TrueCrypt license suggests it's basically open
source, and Schneier recently said he is using it:

 "Since I started working with Snowden's documents, I have
  been using GPG, Silent Circle, Tails, OTR, TrueCrypt,
  BleachBit, and a few other things I'm not going to write
  about. There's an undocumented encryption feature in my
  Password Safe program from the command line); I've been
  using that as well."

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/sep/05/nsa-how-to-remain-secure-surveillance

> Are there actually any open source tools that integrate properly
> with the Windows boot sequence and user logins?

No idea if TrueCrypt can be used this way.

Nicolai