[Cialug] Cialug Digest, Vol 101, Issue 11

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Fri Sep 20 20:06:08 CDT 2013

On Fri, 20 Sep 2013, Moder John II Lee wrote:

> I did that on the OSXSLS1 box and it returned:
>
> OSXSLS1:~ administrator$ dig @10.0.1.2 A Centos1.moderetnyre.net
>
> ;; QUESTION SECTION:
> ;Centos1.moderetnyre.net.	IN	A
>
> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> moderetnyre.net.	3600	IN	SOA	ns75.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2013091200 28800 7200 604800 600

You authoritive name servers are at godaddy.com (domaincontrol.com), .. to
properly resolve centos1, you would have to add an A recored at godaddy
for the domain.

> With that I agree Zach, I have missed something in setting up the
> OSXSLS1 DNS responder, but I do not know how to fix it.

Your OSX machine is working properly to forward inquiries to the
authoritive name server (godaddy), .. the only other option is to run a
split horizon DNS server sudh as dnsmasq, or figure out how to configure
such a service on OSX.

	Lee