[Cialug] DNS and playing well with OSX

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Thu Sep 19 23:18:46 CDT 2013

In that SOA record response, the master nameserver for your domain is listed as ns75.domaincontrol.net.  Are you using a real domain name inside your LAN, and trying to assign reserved internal LAN IP addresses to the subdomains (A records)?  Like trying to assign 10.0.1.5 as an A record for CentOS1.somerealdomain.com?  That is, are you trying to use some subdomains with "real" public server IPs and other subdomains with LAN server IPs, or are you just trying to create a fake domain only for use on your LAN?

If you are just creating a fake domain for use only on your LAN, then you need to use whatever hostname you have given to your Mac as the master nameserver in the SOA record.  You also need to specify the nameserver again in an NS record, I believe, then you need your address records and, optionally, some CNAME records:

myLANdomain.net. IN SOA OSXSLS1.myLANdomain.net john.myLANdomain.net (
              1         ; Serial
              3h       ; Refresh after 3 hours
              1h       ; Retry after 1 hour
              1w       ; Expire after 1 week
              1h )     ; Negative caching TTL of 1 day

myLANdomain.net. IN NS OSXSLS1.myLANdomain.net.

Gateway.myLANdomain.net. IN A 10.0.1.1
OSXSLS1.myLANdomain.net. IN A 10.0.1.2
CentOS1.myLANdomain.net. IN A 10.0.1.5

www.myLANdomain.net. IN CNAME CentOS1.myLANdomain.net.
ftp.myLANdomain.net. IN CNAME CentOS1.myLANdomain.net.
mail.myLANdomain.net. IN CNAME CentOS1.myLANdomain.net.

You can also go through the whole LAN and assign PTR records so that looking up an IP address will tell you what the domain name record for that address is.  It's a lot of extra work, and not really needed, but if you have already assigned a static IP to every computer on your LAN and given each computer a subdomain, having things point the opposite direction might help you if you see a particular IP address doing something funky on the network by allowing you to see what the "name" of the computer is.

I created my own TLD on my LAN and assigned every computer a name and even set up PTR records so DNS resolves in both directions.  I did it more as a learning experience and so that I could run Zimbra Collaboration Suite on my LAN (it's neat having your own email/task list/calendaring system for your family to use at home).  There are a lot of real annoyances doing this can cause, mainly involving making sure the computer running DNS for your LAN is always up and running smoothly so that the internet functions properly for everyone in the house.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

P.S. - If you've already done all this and set it up basically the same way, then I'm sorry for going so in-depth, but without being able to actually look at the configuration of your home network and the nameserver records it's hard to make suggestions.  :(

Sent from my ASUS Transformer