[Cialug] DNS and playing well with OSX

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Thu Sep 19 20:48:28 CDT 2013

On Thu, 19 Sep 2013, Moder John II Lee wrote:

> I am a Linux/CentOS newbie, and am not overly technical to begin with
> so I beg mercy from all the super users here!

No worries, .. we don't leave marks.

Doesn't look like your OSX box, does it?

> ;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
> (mydomain).net.	2463	IN	SOA	ns75.domaincontrol.com. dns.jomax.net. 2013091200 28800 7200 604800 600

You need to either use the hosts file (by far the simplest operation), or
use a DNS name that works with the DNS server on your MAC *AND* does not
resolve externally.

In this case it appears that you are hitting an external server, which has
no information about your local machines.

If you were running a Linux system for DNS, you could use dnsmasq which
is designed for just such an application [maintaining a separate zone for
local servers while passing all external queries to the proper servers on
the public network].

Let us know how it goes!

	Lee