[Cialug] Open Source Point of Sale

Todd Pierce toddcpierce at gmail.com
Tue Sep 17 13:53:32 CDT 2013

Crew,

Sorry to be slightly off topic again, but last time you saved my life with
NetBeans advice.  Maybe I'll have luck again?

The deal is, the bookstore I'm working at (I'm not living on the street
anymore... whew) has some Windows-based POS software which is crappy and
falling apart as I type (along with the Windows machines themselves).

I have at least set up a Linux system which now backs up all of their data
on the Windows machines, so I'm safe enough to start investigating other
POS software.

I specifically wanted a LAMP solution and Open Source Point of Sale (on
SourceForge) really seems nice.  I've installed it and it is really
smooth.  Of course, it's going to require some modifications, but the
source is a little more involved than I thought.  I've done very little PHP
development, but the real problem seems to be finding my way around all of
the source.  It was developed using CodeIgniter, so there is at least some
standardization.

So, if anybody has ever used this Open Source POS package and has some tips
I'd be thrilled.  Also, any advice on CodeIgniter would be welcome.

Sincerely,

-Todd.