[Cialug] Internet access

Afan Pasalic afan at afan.net
Fri Oct 4 17:21:29 CDT 2013

I use Mediacom for a year or so.
Last three days two outages, 3-4 hours each time. Once 'round noon, once
later evening.
The worst part is horrible customer service. Both time they setup an
appointment for serviceman 8 days later?!?!?!!?
Also, the knowledge of first level support is really bad. For a few
weeks I had problem to hook up about 10 devices to home netowork
(laptops, phones, xbox, visitors...) and the guy told me DHCP is not
developed so much to handle more than 10-12 devices... I told him to
stand up and look around how many people is in the room and how many
devices is connected to their network. :D

I work from home and I also need reliable ISP. I had Internet Solver (3
mbps) for a while but was looking for something faster (12 mbps).
Though, even it shows 12-15 mbps on speedtest.com I can't watch 720HD
youtube video or a movie on Netflix. Bad picture and sometimes audio is
"faster" than video :-D