[Cialug] Internet access

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri Oct 4 10:01:01 CDT 2013

I would not consider cable, just because (as far as i know, please
correct me if i'm wrong) cable does not offer a static, routable IP and
does not allow running servers. And reliability is definitely important;
my current ISP provides me with a modem, but i have to reset it every
1-2 months. My previous ISPs made me buy a Cisco modem; at the time i
was annoyed at having to shell out $300 for a modem but now i realize
that that was actually a good thing since the Cisco equipment was rock-
solid. If i could get better reliability while improving my speed, i
would be very happy.

On 2013-10-04 at 14:37:09 Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> Be sure to factor reliability into the subjective evaluation.  I don't
> know what alternatives you have available but things like cable modem
> Internet, at least in my experience, do not hold a candle to the
> reliability of DSL, even though I will admit cable has improved.
> -Nate

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu