[Cialug] Internet access

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri Oct 4 09:13:23 CDT 2013

I'm exploring alternatives to my current DSL, either an upgrade in
service with the current ISP, or a new ISP. Right now i think i have 3
or 5 mbit down, 1 mbit up. I want faster, particularly on the upload
side. I've talked to the sales people at my current ISP and they can't
offer anything better.

Are there any magic words that i need in order to ask the right
question? I'm willing to discuss the costs to run a new wire to my place
if that's what it takes to get faster speeds. (I'd be unsurprised if the
copper wiring in the ground is from the 1950s, when the circle i live in
was built.) And it seems to me that faster should be possible since i
only live about 2 blocks from a central office. But i evidently didn't
ask correctly since the answer i got was that i could go up to 12 mbit
download (which *would* be nice) but still only 1 mbit upload (*fail*).

__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu