[Cialug] Command output logging

Kenneth Younger kyounger at gmail.com
Thu Nov 21 16:37:27 CST 2013

I have a somewhat custom daemon that allows me to specify in its config
another command to redirect all the output to (for logging purposes). I see
this as useful, since I'm generating quite a bit of log data each day, but
don't really want to stop the program just to cut the log file and switch
it over to a new one.

I know of logrotate for log rotation, but is there a well known program
that handles logging of arbitrary output data? (file naming (file.log.2,
file.log.3, etc.), redirecting to new file every 100MB, etc.) Maybe
logrotate can do this and I don't even know it...

Thanks,
-Kenny