[Cialug] Ubuntu 12,04 LTS

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Tue Nov 19 15:56:28 CST 2013

Oh, sorry.  The "Other Matt" ;) is right... I was confused between 12.04 and 12.11.  The LTS version still has the Unity 2D option, and I guess they dropped it in their next version to try out the option of forcing people to come up with some 3D hardware.  To be fair, most computers made in the past 5 or so years have an Intel or AMD CPU that includes some 3D support with an included GPU, even if that GPU doesn't offer much in performance compared to discrete graphics.  Unfortunately, a lot of people turn to Ubuntu when they either 1) can't afford to buy a new computer thanks to the current economic situation, or 2) want to resurrect an old computer for someone for whom they can't afford to buy a new $600+ computer (generally in the case of people who only need that computer for email, web, office, and solitaire).

Sorry for the confusion.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer