[Cialug] Open Source Collaboration Software

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sat Nov 2 09:59:51 CDT 2013

1st: omgosh, no one has mentioned Iowa Code Camp on this list!  It's today,
too late to sign up this year.  I'm here listening to a talk about KendoUI,
which (it turns out) is not really my thing.  It looks pretty slick, though.

But on to the reason I'm emailing now.  I'm looking for open source
software for... uh... collaboration?  I think that's the hip-speak term for
what I want.  Ultimately, I want a place for a group of people to upload
and download files, maybe a calendar, tasks for each other... and here's
the important point for me: workflow.  I want to be able to write workflow
rules to trigger on various events and do something clever.  Email in,
time, database reads.

I'm just looking to play around right now, so I don't mind trying a few
different things.  But in the end I'm hoping to find a system that works
without any special programming effort.

So far, I've been thinking of trying:

     * OTRS
     * eXo Platform
     * Open Atrium
     * Alfresco (for documents)

Anyone have any other suggestions I might check out?

--
Todd