[Cialug] Virtualbox Newbie

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Fri May 17 13:50:45 CDT 2013

I'm curious what issues you've seen when upgrading? I've used VirtualBox
as my desktop virtualization through several upgrades without any real
issues. I do occasionally use the command line tools, but primarily use
the GUI. My 2 usage scenarios are running a Linux host with a Windows
guest, and an OS X host with either a Linux or a Windows guest. I do use
the non-free extensions that give better USB support and a few other
features, and do upgrade the extensions shortly after any VirtualBox
upgrade. Still... not had many real problems.

On 2013-05-17 at 12:27:55, L. V. Lammert wrote:
>The only issues we have had with VB are:
>
>1) It is a user oriented application, so any VMs are linked to the
>base user, whereas something like Xen is system oriented.
>
>2) When you want to upgrade anything, watch out! VB is pretty
>'fragile' when updating, especially if you use some of the other
>available tools like vboxtool (which gives you command line machine
>control).
__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu