[Cialug] Virtualbox Newbie

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Fri May 17 13:10:27 CDT 2013

You can certainly force it to work for you with the help of several well-made tools, but it wasn't originally designed for it.  I've taken my VMWare Workstation 9 install on my Windows 7 desktop and written some startup events to force it to start when my desktop boots so that my Mint 14 VM can be up and running MythTV backend to record my shows.  It's just that there is no way to migrate the VM to another machine automatically if this hardware fails, or to automatically provision copies of it behind a load balancer... things that would be important in a production environment.

Openstack can do some of these things for you with Xen or KVM or other open-source hypervisors, and vCenter can do this for you if you bring it a dumptruck full of cash.  You might be able to force virtualbox to do it, but it's a collection of a bunch of things hacked together... people with production environments tend to get a little bit worried in that sort of situation...

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer