[Cialug] Anyone have experience setting up solar powered wireless repeater outdoors?

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Fri May 17 00:44:59 CDT 2013

I've done it, it did not go so well.  A couple cloudy days and nights and the battery drained, but my panels did not have the best orientation.

I got some cheap panels at harbor freight.  If you get the right charge controller you might not need an inverter.  The controller from Harbor freight (http://www.harborfreight.com/solar-panel-kit-45-watt-68751.html ) had outputs for several different voltages and I hooked the repeater up to one of them.  Running through an inverter wastes precious solar energy.

The harbor freight panels are inexpensively made and I would guess not very efficient.

I used marine batteries.  The first one did not fare the winter very well.  The second one was a design that used round battery cylinders in it and seemed to do better in the cold weather.

If I were doing it again - or for my only network connection, I would definitely look for a similar charge controller so an inverter was not required.  I would get better (more efficient) panels.  I think the ones I had were 15 watts each, I would look for a 60 watt in the same or similar form factor and use only one or two panels instead of three.  I would orient it to the arc of the sun better - perhaps making it adjustable by season, and I would use more batteries.  I understand that used electric forklift batteries are pretty good if you can get them.

My system also powered a playhouse doorbell and lights, and sometimes kids would leave the lights on all night....  grrr.

A small wind turbine might be a better solution - you can also put the repeater up on the mast.  It's pretty amazing how many consecutive cloudy days you can get in an Iowa winter.

Wlanparts.com just added some new solar powered stuff - they may have a better turnkey setup.  They even have some charge controllers that can use PoE as a secondary source.

-Nate