[Cialug] Version control splitting repository & migration

Nicholas Olson nicholas.olson83 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 26 15:11:17 CDT 2013

I used a variation of that procedure to migrate a large collection of svn repositories to git recently while maintaining version history. That procedure required making the commit history mapping file line by line as it errored out. Since there was several thousand repositories totalling over 400gb I wrote a bash script to automate it and a wrapper that parsed the error for the name it did not recognize to add it to the file and retry. I also had to tweek the steps a bit.  How you go about it really depends on your setup, whether or not svn and git are on the same machine or separate servers. In our case it was separate so involved cloning a copy of the svn , concerting it and then pushing it to the new server.