[Cialug] Complete C source online - chapter two: The PRISMer of Zenda

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Thu Jul 25 14:44:52 CDT 2013

Sorry, but I was just talking about email (on the internet, but considered to be "private", even if it travels insecurely from server to server) and phone conversations (which are not internet-related at all).  I agree that anything you put on the internet is an immediate act of public release of data.  I have a LinkedIn account with no resume, a Facebook account that I never post to (other than once or twice in the beginning), and a Twitter account that I rarely ever even check.  I don't have a lot of personal information that I deem necessary for the public to consume.  I did, however, put up a decent amount of information about myself on my QRZ page, but it was all information I deemed acceptable, and mostly about my physical situation (car accident stuff) and the ham radio equipment I own.

So, I expect the government/hacker/script kiddies to be able to find my home address, my email address, and what HF/VHF/UHF transmission capabilities I own, but anything that goes on in my phone conversations or email I consider to be relatively private-ish (that is, as private as gossip by the receiving parties will have it).

Like you are saying the newest internet generation is putting out all their personal information where everyone can see it with very little effort.  All you need to keep track of them is Google or an account as their "friend".  If you want to take the time to secure your information, though -- or at least secure certain bits of your information -- then it would have been nice to have that option.  Unfortunately, phone conversations and email conversations can just be intercepted and parsed exactly like the twitter-pics of your naughty bits. :x

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer