[Cialug] The Linux Desktop and Window Managers - when is too much?

Daniel A. Ramaley daniel.ramaley at drake.edu
Thu Jul 25 09:34:18 CDT 2013

Do not want.

I've been using AfterStep since the mid-90s. I switched away from Red
Hat to Debian specifically because Red Hat stopped packaging AfterStep,
and my knowledge of how to properly compile packages to integrate into a
distribution in a non-messy way was rather limited at the time.

What you are talking about (Gnome, KDE, Mate, Cinnamon, etc.) are not
just "window managers", but "desktop environments". And they
categorically suck. Having all distributions pick one of the desktop
environments and stop supporting others and stop supporting plain window
managers would be a disaster.

Now, i have a strong fondness for AfterStep. Most people would probably
not enjoy it, since it is a bit more spartan than what a typical user is
accustomed to. So, i do not advocate that everyone switch to my window
manager. But, it is very important that the choices be maintained. Sure,
the ecosystem is kind of messy, with all the choices that are available.
That's unfortunate. But it would be much *more* unfortunate if the
choices were to be taken away.

I'd suggest trying out half a dozen of the most popular desktop
environments. If you find one you like, use it. If you do not find one
you like, try a half dozen of the less popular options. Eventually
you'll find something that works the way you expect a computer to work,
or that can be configured fairly easily to work the way you expect it
to. Then use it, and be happy. If, in time, your choice turns out to be
suboptimal, just re-evaluate.

Trying out a half dozen window managers might take 1-2 days. Those days
may seem wasted at the time. But finding one you like will save you over
time since the computer will work the way you most expect it to. Saving
yourself from frustration definitely pays off in the end. And that's the
beauty of open source... all the choices, and being able to find
something perfectly suited to you. In the unlikely event that *nothing*
is well-suited, well, you can always hack on the code and make it work.
So far i've not had to do that, but the option is there and that is
comforting.

On 2013-07-25 at 01:33:01, aaron wrote:
>I'm a web front-end designer, code geek at heart. So naturally I
>gravitated towards Linux and the openness of the code. One thing I've
>always found baffling with Linux, is the amount of Window Manger's as
>a whole. Personally I like the traditional set-up (Mate and/or
>Cinnamon), but the gloss of Gnome 3 and KDE 4.x have fancied me
>greatly.
>
>My question to the group is, When is too much? Can there be too much?
>Personally I think a more unified WM across all distros will help
>greatly bring Linux more in focus of the mass user base. What are
>everyones thoughts on Window managers and as desktop users, system
>admins and such, how does this mass cluster of varies WM's effect your
>work, does it effect your work?
>
>Ponder, respond!
__
Daniel A. Ramaley
Network Engineer 2

Dial Center 112, Drake University
2407 Carpenter Ave / Des Moines IA 50311 USA
Tel: +1 515 271-4540
Fax: +1 515 271-1938
E-mail: daniel.ramaley at drake.edu