[Cialug] The Linux Desktop and Window Managers - when is too much?

Hawkins ng0g at mchsi.com
Thu Jul 25 05:17:49 CDT 2013

Aaron,

I liked gnome2 and used it almost exclusively until Fedora shifted to
gnome3.

I hated Gnome 3. At first I figured that I did not like it because it
was new and it would just take time to get used to it.

But after being frustrated with gnome in Fedora 15 for quite a while, I
installed 16 in the hope things would get better. I have come to the
conclusion that it is application centric, instead of task centric.

I can do everything with it that I used to do with Gnome 2.x but
everything is more work. I don't run one app at a time with it on full
screen. I almost never go full screen. I typically have 2 or 3 terminals
open and a browser with about three tabs, all on one large flat screen
monitor purchased to make this comfortable.

Every task under gnome3 involves extra steps, ie resizing, extra clicks
to drill down to start the app. And to top it off they took away the
desktop, and added a useless screen on top of everything to add another
step just to get started. And they make you do that one extra step over
and over. Arrrrrrrgh!

I shifted to Mint w/cinnamon.

Steve

--