[Cialug] open source digital signage with Linux

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Jul 22 12:59:17 CDT 2013

On Jul 22, 2013, at 10:36 AM, nathan.smith at rockinghamridge.com wrote:

> I would like to set up a couple digital signs using open source software running on Linux.  Unfortunately, most of the software I've seen so far either requires a Windows-based player on the sign or has other complexities or requirements.

What kind of sign are you talking about?

Most of the LED message signs have a serial interface that's documented by the manufacturer. Typically you pre-load strings into the sign, then command it to display them (with timing/transitions/etc. as supported by the sign). After that the computer is not needed until next time you change the message(s). There may also be a "display whatever is in the buffer" mode, so you can more rapidly update data.

I've only used one bitmap-based sign, so I'm not sure if there's some standard there. But the one I used had a similar model to the character-based signs -- pre-load images and then set them to play, via a serial protocol unique to the manufacturer.

	Zach