[Cialug] network solutions

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Wed Jul 17 13:40:26 CDT 2013

I have all of my domains at Dyn.com.  They have servers all over the planet, and got their start with their dynamic DNS service back in the 90s.  My original reason for using them was that they would let me set up some of my subdomains as dynamic, with others as static, so I could have www.* point to my server and home.* point to my dynamic IP at my house.

After I switched from a physical, colocated box to Linode, I wrote a little php script that would take web requests from my home computer (using curl and the windows task scheduler running every 5 minutes) to grab the IP address and the Linode DNS API to change the IP addresses of whichever subdomains I specified.  This saved me that extra $30/domain I was paying to get the "custom DNS service".

Dyn has some awesome infrastructure, and I believe they might also be running one or more of the root servers, but you also tend to pay extra for their domains.  I think the .com/.net/.org/.us domains are $15/yr, while I'm pretty sure other registrars provide those types of domains for as low as $9.95/yr.

I have thought about transferring to other registrars a few times, but never really decided that the hassle of the move was worth the extra $15/yr I might be paying for my three domains.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer