[Cialug] Ubuntu 12.10 Grub Editor

Barry Von Ahsen barry at vonahsen.com
Tue Jan 29 09:53:34 CST 2013

On Jan 29, 2013, at 9:38 AM, L. V. Lammert wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2013, Kevin Smith wrote:
>
>> You should edit the custom file in /err/grub.d as your additions are the
>> preserved.
>>
> The 'trick' there is to remember that when you do grubmkconfig you have to
> explicitly set the output file - running it without the -o does not
> change the menu.

up until 11.10 (IIRC, perhaps later), there was a system > boot configuration-type GUI that showed your entries, you clicked on one, chose 'default' and clicked apply.  I think dc's issue is why do we still have to remember these tricks instead of having pointy-clicky options

it looks like 12.04 has startup-manager:

https://launchpad.net/startup-manager
http://sourceforge.net/projects/startup-manager/

which is no longer developed.  the EOL announcement mentions grub customizer

https://launchpad.net/startup-manager/+announcement/8300

I don't have a 12.10 box to see which packages it has

-barry