[Cialug] Tar file corruption

David Bierce david at bierce.org
Tue Apr 30 14:05:53 CDT 2013

I don't care enough about the data enough to pay for it just thought someone might know of something obvious I missed, like tar -xcf --fix-broken-file :)

Though, there is a bitcoin wallet with .034 bitcoins in it...so it might be worth paying someone or actually sitting down and opening the file to see what the data looks like if we have another run on bitcoins :)

I tried extracting using 7z, cpio and winzip, but they all barf at the same place, thought with 7z and winzip I cannot confirm they don't just stop reading after the reach zeros.  In either case it seems like there was garbage added into the file, not just a few spots of zeros.