[Cialug] Remove Thermal Paste?

murraymckee at wellsfargo.com murraymckee at wellsfargo.com
Wed Apr 3 19:57:06 CDT 2013

I'd recommend just dunking it in a shallow pan of gasoline.  Use a nylon, brass, or steel bristled brush, in order of increasing aggressiveness, while holding the heat sink under the surface of the gas to remove the goo.  Sometimes it is necessary to let it soak overnight.  Cover the pan with aluminum foil to keep the gas from evaporating too fast.  I find a 9" X 9" baking pan works great.  Just wash the pan and get it back into the kitchen drawer before the wife gets home.  That's what I do for the farm machinery parts that need cleaned at any rate.

NOTE:  DO this outside, and NO, inside the garage, even with the overhead door open, does NOT count as outside.  And for heaven's sake, don't do it in the basement next to the water heater, like the young fellow did who bought the house I grew up in.  This is a nasty NO - NO.

Murray R. McKee

Operating Systems Analyst
Mainframe/Midrange Services

Wells Fargo Compute Platform Services  |  800 Walnut Street  |  Des Moines, IA 50309-3605
MAC N0001-037
Tel 515-557-6127 |  Cell 515-343-6630 |  Fax 515-557-6046 | Text pager: 5153436630 at vtext.com

MurrayMcKee at WellsFargo.com