[Cialug] hd homerun tv tuner for sale

Matt Stanton matt at itwannabe.com
Wed Sep 26 17:21:43 CDT 2012

I have one of the dual-tuner HDHomeRuns, and I use it for local OTA signals.  I can pick up 8, 13, 17 (technically 16, but shows up as 17.1/17.2?/17.3, btw), 19, 23, 39, and 41 if you want it (41 is the home shopping network, and it is run by some strange station that isn't a TV station call nor an amateur radio call).  I can also move the antenna to pick up channel 11 (Iowa Pucblic TV) if I don't mind losing 13.  I can get 5 if I don't care about any other channel.  I have one of those flat panel indoor TV antennas that probably go for $70 or so at Best Buy, or maybe cheaper at Walmart.

I don't have cable TV or satellite, but I do make up for it a bit by subscribing to Netflix and Hulu Plus.  Unfortunately I never got to the point where I set up a MythTV box, but I did set it up to run with Windows Media Center.  After setting up WMC, I tried to get MythTV working and found that WMC had taken control of the tuners, which messed up the setup process for MythTV.  Since WMC does a great job of recording the shows I just never got around to switching over to MythTV.  I may set up MythTV in my Ubuntu VM sometime and configure the VM to boot with Windows if I end up deciding to buy Workstation 9.  Unfortunately, I can't get any computer on my LAN to play the recorded files, including other Windows computers (my box is Win7, but the others are Vista).  MS changed the file format for the saved TV recordings with Windows 7, and not only have the ffmpeg folks not completely caught up, other versions of Windows simply can't read them.  You can convert the .wtv files to the older .dvr-ms format using the context menu for each file one at a time, but that gets really tedious.

In the end I wish I had gone through the trouble of setting up MythTV on a dedicated box, but I'll have to settle for a VM once I figure out where I'm going to land as far as hypervisors are concerned.

-- Matt (N0BOX)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer