[Cialug] ML330

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Wed Sep 19 10:34:42 CDT 2012

At 11:38 AM 9/15/2012, Ralph Kessel wrote:
>I have had problems with installing ubuntu on my hp/compaq with
>ubuntu on both my desktop and my laptop. (I had to totally replace
>my hard drive on my laptop and intstalling wamp.)   I am now working
>with ubuntu 12.04 with few problems and happy for that. Please let
>me know what your find.

I had tried using GPT partition tables last week, .. that was a
non-starter. Rebuilt from scratch yesterday after resetting all
partition tables, still no boot.

Went through the BIOS again (someone else asked the question - is it
an EFI BIOS? The first copyright date on the screen is 1982, so it
probably isn't. We're ALL in trouble if manufacturers start putting
EFI BIOS's on servers!), and made the following changes:

1) Changed the IRQ for 2nd Ethernet port to 5, instead of 11 with the
SATA controllers (probably not an issue);
2) Tweaked the boot order (changed and changed back) to force the
BIOS to reset the list.

FINALLY works! have to change the default choice to Xen, but that's a
small issue. Now, the next challenge is whether 12.2 Yast has fixed
the process of seting the bridge IP & route correctly for a Xen host
without manually tweaking the config files.

         Lee