[Cialug] Mail server installations

Matthew Nuzum newz at bearfruit.org
Fri Sep 7 12:31:27 CDT 2012

I don't know what size of install you're thinking about, but for
simplicity, I like Ubuntu Server with Postfix and Dovecot. They're pretty
much plug and play out of the box and maintenance is both minimal and easy
to do remotely. There is no in-built web mail solution, but because you get
imap and pop3 then any nice webmail tool will work.

And just because they're simple doesn't mean they're simplistic, both are
heavy duty apps that can take a lot of load.

This solution is, in my opinion, way more "KISS" than Zimbra. It bears no
resemblance to Exchange, however.

On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM, L. V. Lammert <lvl at omnitec.net> wrote:

> We have used Mailserv for years for some mail systems here as well as
> remote sites, but it is now a community supported project and has gotten a
> little 'rough around the edges' recently.
>
> Some of our sites will need updating in the near future, .. so what do
> folks use for 'suppored' installations (i.e. something you put out onsite
> and don't want to spend a lot of time supporting)? So far, our approach has
> been KISS (looked at Zimbra, for example, .. but that seemed like total
> overkill).
>
> Heard of iRedMail, .. like to avoid building one from scratch, if possible.
>
>         Lee

Matthew Nuzum