[Cialug] debian605+gdm3

Dan Hockey icepuck3k at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 3 13:13:49 CDT 2012

--- On Mon, 9/3/12, Nicolai <nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org> wrote:

> I've been in the same shoes... this year I've installed all
> 4 of the
> BSDs plus Debian GNU/Linux, on multiple machines, and found
> Debian to be
> the only one to lock up for whatever reason.
>
> Debian has IIRC options for graphical install and text
> install.  Choose
> the other option and try the install again.  That's
> what I did.
>
> Let us know if that works or not.
>
> Nicolai
<snip>

I used the text install method for the last two installs-one net install and the other from DVD.

I found that when I did the following and rebooted gdm still crashed displaying lots of garbled debian logos on the screen but now I can log in remotely.

update-rc.d -f gdm remove

I've been trying to find a cli way of reconfiging gm3-still googleing...
-dan