[Cialug] shell accounts

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Sun Nov 18 11:44:47 CST 2012

On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 11:16:48AM -0600, chris rheinherren wrote:
> Hi
>
> I've got some friends who are interested in Linux but don't want to take
> the plunge off the deep end by installing it on their hard drives  Some not
> even as virtual machines. So I'm thinking a shell account would be helpful
> for someone to learn some basics of Linux command line.

A $10 surplus machine would pay for itself quickly and give your
friends addtional capabilities over a shell account.  You could probably
even find $5 ones now, like the one I'm typing from. :)

> So are there any recommendations from the group as to shell providers ...
> free and paid.

http://www.egghelp.org/shellhtml/12345-a-012-123.htm

The only shell account I've paid money for is from a company that closed
its doors years ago.  But from this list I recognize JEAH, KIRE, and a
few others.  They've been around a long time.

The best way to learn is to get a surplus box, install the OS, break it,
reinstall... eventually learn how it works and stop breaking it.  Or get
a shell account, get a basic feel, and then decide if you want to move
to your own machine.

Nicolai