[Cialug] Job Opening - Linux/Unix/VMware, Iowa City

Paul Gray gray at cs.uni.edu
Thu May 31 14:32:15 CDT 2012

On 05/31/2012 02:16 PM, Prescott Kulow wrote:
> The only problem with that is that some positions are not listed
> publicly and are only available through recruiters.
>
> Pearson had that exact same job opening available months ago when I
> was still looking.  I applied for it on their site, and got harassed
> by all sorts of recruiters as well.  I wonder if they hired someone
> and he didn't work out, or they need more people, or they decided to
> just put it off for a while, or what.

It's likely because their job description specifically asks for someone
who "possesses a strong motivation to increase technical and business
capabilities *without the fear of challenging the status quo*," and then
proceeds to cite the very rigid, extremely status-quo requirements of
the position.

They probably hired someone who wanted to do a Proxmox virtualization
infrastructure with FreeBSD hosts, and that was just too cutting edge
for them because it didn't mesh well with Kickstart.

"Cluster" and "Oracle" shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence,
unless it starts with "Everything Oracle buys out recently has become a
cluster-...."

--
Paul Gray                                         -o)
314 East Gym, Dept. of Computer Science           /\\