[Cialug] SOT: Classic Computer Science trade-offs

Nathan C. Smith nathan.smith at ipmvs.com
Fri May 25 14:00:48 CDT 2012

It seemed to me there were some classic computer science trade-offs.  The three I remember specifically are: time, space and cost.  For instance, you could do something faster at greater cost (dollars or CPU) .   With more space you can do things faster, but at greater cost for memory or CPU.

Does this sound familiar?  Is there a simple computer science phrase that reflects these trade-offs?  Does anyone remember them differently?

I always fall back to you can have it good, fast or cheap, pick two.  But that wasn't coined for C.S. though it works pretty well for project work.

Are there other tradeoffs you think about often in whatever work you do?

Thanks.

-Nate