[Cialug] "open source" movies

Nicolai nicolai-cialug at chocolatine.org
Fri May 25 12:05:26 CDT 2012

We're not yet at the point of doing

  patch < starwars-nojarjar.diff

so by "open source" movies I'm talking about freely redistributable
independent films such as those under a Creative Commons license.  Now,
given Hollywood's promotion of SOPA and like-minded legislation, and
that technology is progressing to the point where film production can be
decentralized, I think it's a crucial time to promote DIY and "open"
filmmaking in the same spirit of open source.

The most exciting avenue I've come across is called VODO:

  http://vo.do

Here, freely redistributable, Creative Commons, bittorrent-powered films
and their filmmakers are promoted.

If you're mad about SOPA, explore this as an alternative.  Attacking
Hollywood isn't interesting or productive, but supplanting them with
something open and decentralized IS.

This weekend would be a good time to check out a film.  Just download,
convert, write to thumb drive and pop it in the DVD player.

Here's a good place to start:

  http://vo.do/film/allfilms/heat

Enjoy!
Nicolai