[Cialug] Ubuntu 12.04

Todd Walton tdwalton at gmail.com
Sun May 13 21:26:37 CDT 2012

On Sun, May 13, 2012 at 6:57 PM, Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org> wrote:
> If your computer seems frozen, even though the mouse works then the X
> server probably crashed. I have seen that before, exactly as you described.
> Because x is dead it won't respond to (or give control of) keyboard or
> mouse events. You can confirm this by using ssh. Check your x log for ee
> errors. If you have an nvidia card, try one of the other drivers.

That's what I figured at first.  But I can't even Ctrl-Alt-F1.  There
are no errors in /var/log/Xorg.*.  And for some reason my nvidia
driver was disabled/uninstalled in the upgrade.  I reinstalled it and
that took care of the screen funniness, and it seemed to slow down the
crashing for a bit, but it's back again.

> Also, at the login screen click the gear icon and try unity 2d to see if
> that helps.

Unity 2D did not help.  Though getting into "Gnome classic (no
effects)" seems to be helping, though I've only been using it for 10
minutes now.

Also, weirdness: Alt-Tab is not working at all.  And Duplicity is not
backing up to Ubuntu One.  It says "Remote manifest does not match
local one".  Not that I care about that.  I'll get it fixed.  I'm just
frustrated by this upgrade.

--
Todd