[Cialug] annual Ubunutu bust.

Ralph Kessel ralphkessel75 at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 15:58:58 CDT 2012

________________________________
 From: Matthew Nuzum <newz at bearfruit.org>
To: Central Iowa Linux Users Group <cialug at cialug.org>
Sent: Monday, May 7, 2012 12:01 PM
Subject: Re: [Cialug] annual Ubunutu bust.
 Thanks Matt for your timely response.  This time I'm at the end of my rope.  I believe my problem is the age of my machine.  I tried to install with Wubi and when I tried to boot it only wanted to boot into guest mode with no apps.
I attempted to reinstall an old release (Ubuntu 10.04) and it wanted to reconfigure my whole may machine and I don't wish to wipe out my windows partition.  As bad as it is--maybe--I'm far more luck than with installing Linux.
If someone could come to my house in the evening - I have only two classes left on Wednesday night-- I would be more than happy to step through the nightmare.  Or somebody else may volunteer. I assure you will be paid for your time.   If you could get me back to an old release that would be great as my printer stop working once I got into release 11 which is the least of my problems.
I am fortunate to have to functioning windows machines and there I will stay until somebody is able to help.
You guys have been most helpful to this old dolt and I do appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Ralph

Hi Ralph, I don't understand your problem based on your description. Can
you give more details? I am sure there are people here who would be happy
to help (myself included) if we just knew what was going on.

Just try describing what you did, what you're trying and what happens when
you try that.

BTW, one thing I tried recently when I had a problem was booting off of the
installer CD. That gives you two options that may help you: One option you
get from the boot menu of the installer CD (or usb drive) is to boot the
first hard drive, another was to use recovery mode. It gives you the option
of using an existing Ubuntu installation as your root. This lets you get in
and check your partitions and possibly re-install the boog loader.

On Sun, May 6, 2012 at 10:50 PM, Ralph Kessel <ralphkessel75 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> Just downloaded an update of Ubuntu 12.0 and it completed smershed my
> Linux drive.    By that I mean is I'm unable to install an old release on
> my drive because the grub config on my machine finds it unbootable.
> Whenever I try to bring up my Ubuntu desktop it just hangs. Since this is a
> dual boot (I have a windoze hd) and an Ubuntu hd.  I'm able to boot into my
> Vista drive and I'm afraid I would mess up both if do anymore.
>

> I'm asking for two alternative solutions:
>
> A. A means to split my boot with windows and linux so that I could restore
> my linux (with an old boot or new version).
> B. Suggest someone or computer repair service in the area (preferably in
> or near Ankeny if possible) who could work on my machine with a dual boot
>

> I t would be greatly appreciated.   BTW once I complete my evening class
> I'm taking on Wed nights I would be happy to attend future LUG meetings.
>
> Thanks so much
> Ralph Kessel

Matthew Nuzum