[Cialug] OT: email is not instant

Pixie pix at kepibu.org
Fri Jun 8 17:20:53 CDT 2012

Nathan C. Smith wrote:
> Does anyone have a good resource for "email is not instant" tht I can
> borrow from?  I have some users that are....misled or confused.

There's always section 4.5.4.1 of RFC 5321:

   The general model for an SMTP client is one or more processes that
   periodically attempt to transmit outgoing mail.  ... mail that
   cannot be transmitted immediately MUST be queued and periodically
   retried by the sender.
   Retries continue until the message is transmitted or the sender gives
   up; the give-up time generally needs to be at least 4-5 days.

An RFC is probably not what you want to point a user at, but it's
definitely definitive. ;)