[Cialug] mythtv + hdhomerun + mediacom

L. V. Lammert lvl at omnitec.net
Tue Jun 5 09:35:26 CDT 2012

On Tue, 5 Jun 2012, chris rheinherren wrote:

> It's not that Mediacom is forcing its customer's into higher cost
> cableservices. It's that there is only so much bandwidth available.
> Analogchannels take more bandwidth than digital channels.

That is true, however most local cable systems are required to provide
*ALL* OTA channels on their basic cable service, most often with some
additional NTSC channels to increase advertising revenue.

The problem here, then, is most like the channel *mapping*, not the
guide service itself - ATSC channels self-identify wih channel numbers,
whereas it sounds like the data service you are using may be using the old
NTSC channels?

BTW - I abandoned MythTV some years ago because it was impossible to
secure an HD program source (i.e. no tuner cards supported an addressable
CableCard); has anyone solved that problem?

	Lee