[Cialug] Don't do this...

Zachary Kotlarek zach at kotlarek.com
Mon Jul 23 12:40:54 CDT 2012

On Jul 23, 2012, at 9:56 AM, kristau wrote:

> I've seen this done on purpose in virtual environments before. The
> idea being that you can put the filesystem on the raw device so you
> have one less step when you need to expand (saving the partition
> expansion step). Still made me cringe. A partition table doesn't take
> up that much space to make a huge difference, and expanding partitions
> is easy with parted/gparted.

I always use the raw disk instead of partitions for VMs and LVM volumes (real or virtualized). In such environments there are better tools for managing volumes, and I don't want to deal with the limitations of the partition table, or the extra set of steps when you want to resize/etc.

I guess the partition table is better than nothing -- I'd probably add one on real disks if I was for some reason not using LVM -- but it really seems like an archaic tool to me, and currently I only use it in situations that demand compatibility (i.e. the boot environment, portable drives, etc.)

Is there some reason I should be using it?

	Zach