[Cialug] NAS Boxen

David Champion dchamp1337 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 16 13:59:16 CDT 2012

You can buy a SFF pc, it doesn't have to be a full server.

Most of the small NAS devices are fairly noisy - they tend to have a small
fan running at high RPM's.

They are also often under-powered, using a low-power marvell CPU or
something similar. Do your research  - google for NAS benchmarks and you'll
see there's a pretty big difference in them. Some of the Netgear, Iomega
and other "name brand" NAS units are not the most stable.

If you're worried about performance, a low-end PC with a gigabit ethernet
card will run circles around cheap NAS appliance, and as long as you get
good hardware, will be very stable. But the NAS appliances are easy to use
and convenient.

I've been pretty happy with FreeNAS using ZFS RAID.

-dc